Five starts is played with a standard deck of cards with the face cards removed, depicting the numbers from 1 to 10. The game is well suited for parties of mixed ages.
- Lay out all of the 5’s from the deck face up in one column.
- Players receive seven cards and the remainder become the stock (draw pile).
- Players must either add a card of the same suit and one higher or one lower than the sequence of cards on the table.
- Players can play as many cards as they want in one move.
- Players who cannot play at least one card must draw up to three cards.
- The player who is first to shed his cards wins; play usually continues to determine who is second, third, etc.
In some variants, the 5’s are not placed out in the beginning. Rather, the 5’s must be played from a player’s hand.